Flagler County invites residents to participate in its upcoming Citizens Academy that will be held on Wednesday mornings beginning January 31. The course is designed to introduce participants to the day-to-day operations of Flagler County government, inclusive of its elected Constitutional Officers.
“Supporting and encouraging resident participation in a citizens academy for local government is essential to fostering a deeper understanding of civic responsibilities, governance structures, and the policymaking process,” said County Administrator Heidi Petito. “It’s a wonderful opportunity for residents to learn about the responsibilities and operations of our county departments and because the classes are held at a variety of county facilities, participants experience first-hand the broad range of resources and capabilities that Flagler County provides.”
The academy will be held on Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to noon, and it will wrap up with an 11th session – a Monday afternoon Board of County Commissioners Roundtable at 4 p.m. April 15, followed by graduation at the regular BOCC meeting that begins at 5 p.m.
“By actively involving residents in educational initiatives, we empower them to contribute meaningfully to their community, making informed decisions that positively impact the local landscape,” Petito said. “This academy provides a platform for citizens to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to navigate the complexities of local government. It encourages active involvement, informed discourse, and collaborative problem-solving.”
The slated agenda is as follows:
- January 31 – Get to Know Your County Government | Flagler County’s History
- February 7 – Library System and Programs | Health and Human Services Programs | Florida Department of Health-Flagler
- February 14 – Agricultural Extension | Growth Management, Planning, and Compliance
- February 21 – Emergency Management | Flagler County Fire Rescue | Flagler County Sheriff’s Office and the 9-1-1 Call Center
- February 28 – Flagler Executive Airport
- March 6 – Tourism, Economic Development, and Culture | Human Resources | Veterans Affairs
- March 13 – Clerk of Courts | Property Appraiser | Supervisor of Elections | Tax Collector
- March 20 – General Services | Engineering | Land Management
- March 27 – Innovative Technology | Financial Services and Budget Game
- April 3 – Regional Agency Round Table | Wrap-up
- Monday, 4 p.m. April 15 – Flagler County Board of County Commissioners Round Table | Graduation
“Emphasizing residents’ participation in our citizens academy not only strengthens the fabric of our democracy, but also creates a more vibrant and resilient community where diverse voices are heard and valued,” Petito said.
For more information and to register, go to www.FlaglerCounty.gov/Academy.